Payment options - IWD Debit card or direct deposit


When you file an unemployment insurance claim and have selected to receive payment by a U.S. Bank ReliaCard®, a card will be mailed to you. The card will not expire for three years, so please do not destroy the card. If you have received a card in the last three years, the card is still valid and payments will be issued to that card. The ReliaCard provides the quickest form of payment for unemployment benefits.

The benefit payment is deposited three to four business days after the weekly claim is filed, if all eligibility requirements are met. Holidays may delay the payment.

The ReliaCard is issued and serviced by U.S. Bank. A new card may take up to 10 business days to arrive. Through the ReliaCard cardholder website, you can:

  • Check your account balance

  • Review transaction history

  • Sign up for balance alerts (text messages and email)

  • Sign up for notification of deposits by email

You can also download the ReliaCard mobile app to manage your debit card.

The ReliaCard customer service is available 24/7 for card inquiries at:


  • Only IWD can update your personal information for the ReliaCard.

  • Address or name changes should be reported to IWD.

  • Card account balance and transaction history are not available to IWD staff.

You must contact U.S. Bank to order a replacement card or to report a lost or stolen card.  

The ReliaCard is issued by U.S. Bank National Association pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A Inc. © 2020 U.S. Bank. Member FDIC.

Direct Deposit

You may choose to have your UI benefit payment(s) deposited directly into a checking or savings account.  The benefit payment is deposited four to five business days after the weekly claim is filed, if all eligibility requirements are met.  Holidays may delay the payment.

In order to receive payment(s) into your checking or savings account, it is your responsibility to update your account information on IWD’s website We will not update or make changes to your account information.  Before submitting your direct deposit information it is your responsibility to verify:

  • The bank routing number with your financial institution
  • The account number is correct and is associated with the account to which you want the funds deposited.  

It is your responsibility to verify the benefit payment was deposited into the correct account and resolve any direct deposit errors directly with your financial institution.

We are not responsible for incorrectly reported routing and/or account information. Funds that are deposited into an incorrect account may not only delay your payments, but also may not be recovered or returned to us or you.    

In an effort to safeguard sensitive information, we will have limited access to updating account information. We will not accept any paper forms to change account information.  If you do not wish to update your account information online, the IWD Debit Card will be the default payment method.

Other Deductions

Child Support Deduction

The Child Support Recovery Unit may withhold up to 50 percent of your unemployment insurance benefit payment for a child support obligation. You will be mailed a notification with the amount of the deduction and when that deduction will start. The amount withheld is included on your IRS Form 1099-G, since it was paid to another agency on your behalf. Requests to modify or stop the deductions must be made to the Child Support Recovery Unit or through the court system.


You are responsible for repaying any benefits that you were not eligible to receive. If you have a non-fraud overpayment, your future benefit payments will be used to offset the amount you owe.  We will intercept state and federal tax returns, casino and lottery winnings, etc... regardless of payment plan or payment history.

As of July 1, 2018, if you have a fraud overpayment balance, including penalty, interest and lien fees, you are not eligible for unemployment insurance benefits until that balance is paid in full. You will not be paid for any weeks that you previously filed. Iowa unemployment insurance benefit payments cannot be used to offset a fraud overpayment balance.  Overpayments caused by fraud include a 15 percent penalty. 

NOTE: Overpayment amounts include gross payments you received and payments made on your behalf to revenue agencies for tax withholdings or to the Child Support Recovery Unit.

Unemployment Insurance Taxes

Unemployment insurance benefits are taxable. Unemployment insurance payments of $10.00 or more are reported annually to the Internal Revenue Service and the Iowa Department of Revenue and Finance. An Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1099-G is mailed by January 31 of each year. This form provides important tax information that must be reported on your state and federal income tax returns, including the amount of benefits paid during the tax year and the amount of state and federal taxes withheld.

You have the option to withhold 10 percent of your benefit payment for federal taxes and 5 percent for Iowa taxes. You will elect tax withholdings when you apply for unemployment insurance. To make changes in tax withholdings, you must submit the Tax Withholding Agreement Form 60-0351.

Note: The 1099G will be mailed to the address on record.  If you have changed your address since you last claimed benefits, you need to update your mailing address with Iowa Workforce Development.