- register with Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) on-line at www.myIowaUI.org within 30 days of hiring employees for the first time in Iowa or acquiring an existing business
- keep contact information current on your on-line UI account for tax and benefit correspondence
- if a third party is used, the agent must be assigned as a Power of Attorney or Authorized Representative with specific roles they are authorized to perform
- avoid penalties by filing your contribution and payroll reports on time
- make timely payments to avoid interest charges
- report all newly hired and rehired employees to the central registry at https://secureapp.dhs.state.ia.us/epay
- report suspected misclassification or UI fraud at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/report-fraud
- provide any information that can help in the investigation to determine if UI benefits have been fraudulently claimed
- review quarterly charge statements or billing notices for inaccuracies or suspicious activity
- promptly notify IWD by completing the Notice of Separation or Refusal of Work on-line web form at https://uiclaims.iwd.iowa.gov/EmployerSeparation when an individual is separated from your employment
- complete the Notice of Claim and send to IWD within 10 days from the date of mailing as indicated on the form if you wish to protest a UI claim
- promptly respond and provide accurate information to IWD when requested
Additional IWD Services
IWD offers a variety of services to benefit employers, including recruitment assistance, tax credits to hire new employees and outreach to targeted groups. Whether you are developing, expanding, or consolidating your business, IowaWORKS staff has the tools and resources to facilitate your needs.
Additional information is available at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/business-services.
Screening and Assessment Tools
Our IowaWORKS centers provide employers with assessment tools to help identify a good match between employers’ job requirements and available applicants. These include:
- proficiency testing in typing, 10-key, and data entry to help identify applicants’ skills
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) measures a job seeker’s proficiency in reading for information, locating information, and basic mathematics
- Office Proficiency and Assessment Certification (OPAC) tests applicants on their skills and abilities in all of the MS Office word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
For more information, contact your local IowaWORKS center. Locations and contact information are available at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/locations.
Home Base Iowa (HBI)
The HBI program connects Iowa employers with veterans and transitioning service members who have highly desirable skills – leadership, critical thinking, time management and problem solving.
Additional information is available at www.homebaseiowa.gov.
Skilled Iowa is a public-private initiative designed to address the middle-skills gap in Iowa. Veterans, PROMISE JOBS recipients, UI claimants and others are given the chance to learn more about Iowa employers through unpaid internships, and to potentially provide you with skilled workers.
Additional information is available at www.skillediowa.org.
Rapid Response to Plant Closing and Layoffs
We assist employers and employees involved in workforce adjustment with a rapid response team for mass layoffs or plant closings by offering job search workshops, identifying new training opportunities, skills and interest assessments, and registration for UI benefits.
For more information about employer requirements for both the Federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act, and the Iowa Layoff Notification Law, go to www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/business-closure-and-layoffs.
Labor Market Information (LMI)
LMI collects, analyzes and prepares a wide array of labor market data including: employment, industry and occupational statistics, wages, projections, trends and other workforce characteristics.
Additional information is available at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/labor-market-information-division.
Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC)
WOTC is a federal tax credit available to employers who hire eligible individuals from target groups with significant barriers to employment. WOTC reduces an employer’s cost of doing business by decreasing their federal income tax liability depending on the target group identified and hours worked during the first year of employment. Employers can claim the WOTC on an unlimited number of qualified employees each year.
Additional information is available at Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) information.
Employers Council of Iowa (ECI)
The ECI is an advisory group, located in each IWD region and offers no-cost membership open to all businesses in the community. Its purpose is to guide IWD’s business focus, address topics of concern to employers, sponsor training initiatives, and assist IWD in meeting critical human resource needs.
Additional information is available at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/employers-council-iowa.
IWD administers the Federal Bonding Program, sponsored by the US Department of Labor. The program’s fidelity bonds benefit the employer by offering bond coverage provided at no cost. The bond coverage is in effect the day the new employee begins working and lasts for six months. The employer profits from the worker’s skills and abilities without taking the risk of potential theft or dishonesty. There are no documents to sign or paperwork to complete. The bond has no deductible and reimburses the employer for any loss due to employee theft within the specified six-month period.
Additional information is available at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/federal-bond-program.
The Registered Apprenticeship system provides opportunity for workers seeking high-skilled, high-paying jobs and for employers seeking to build a qualified workforce. Registered Apprenticeship is an employer-driven model, combining on-the-job learning with related classroom instruction and allows the Registered Apprentice to earn a paycheck from day one. Registered Apprenticeship Programs are a proven solution for recruiting, training and retaining world-class talent in Iowa. This program has the ability to attract a new and more diverse talent pool, close the gap in workers’ skills, and awards an industry credential issued by the Department of Labor upon completion of the program.
Additional information is available at https://www.earnandlearniowa.gov.
Iowa Secretary of State
Corporations and Limited Liability Companies (LLC) are common business entities that must be registered with the Iowa Secretary of State (SOS) in order to conduct business within the state. Out of state businesses also have registration requirements in Iowa.
Additional information is available at https://sos.iowa.gov.
Iowa Department of Revenue
Employers are responsible for paying other Iowa taxes such as income, sales and use, and withholding to Iowa Department of Revenue.
Information and electronic filing instructions for these taxes are available at https://tax.iowa.gov.
U.S. Wage and Hour Division (WHD)
WHD enforces many important programs for employers including but not limited to Federal minimum wage, overtime pay, child labor requirements, misclassification of workers, Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Additional information is available at https://www.dol.gov/whd/foremployers.htm.
Iowa Department of Labor
Iowa Department of Labor provides information on construction contractor registration, child labor permits, asbestos permits and licenses and Iowa OSHA regulations.
Additional information is available at www.iowadivisionoflabor.gov.
Iowa Unemployment Insurance Contact Information
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/myiowaui-frequently-asked-questions before contacting the UI Tax Bureau.
UI Tax Customer Service Hours:
8:30 am to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday (excluding state holidays)
Additional UI contact information is available at www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/unemployment-insurance-contact-information.