Unemployment Insurance – What Every Employer Needs to Know
SIOUX CITY - Are you losing your unemployment appeal hearings? Is your UI tax rate going up due to multiple unemployment claims going against your favor? Now here’s your opportunity to learn how to prepare your case to win! Siouxland Employers’ Council and Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) will be hosting a seminar on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM. The location is Western Iowa Tech Community College, 4647 Stone Avenue, Corporate College Room B138, in Sioux City, IA. All employers, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, financial officers and payroll staff are invited to attend. This seminar has been awarded 3.0 General HRCI recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR certifications.
This informative session will be presented by Chief Administrative Law Judge Dan Anderson. Judge Anderson has been an Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development since 1984, becoming Chief Administrative Law Judge in 1996. In 1968 he received his Baccalaureate degree from Macalester College. After military service, he attended the University of Iowa, College of Law, graduating in 1975. He was engaged in private practice in Atlantic, IA prior to joining IWD. He has prepared training materials and participated in training seminars sponsored by the US Department of Labor, the National Judicial College, the Iowa Association of Administrative Law Judges and the Iowa State Bar Association. He is a member of both the Iowa and National Association of Administrative Law Judges.
The topics to be discussed at the session include:
• Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits
• Iowa Codes and Iowa Employment Security Laws
• Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer; quits to avoid violence, quits to accept other employment; quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms; refusals of work or recall, suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
• Health-related separation issues, work related & non-work related; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement
• Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
• Procedural issues and special challenges in handling unemployment insurance appeal hearing cases
• Timeliness of the appeal procedure
• Documentation of disciplinary actions
• Miscellaneous tough Unemployment Appeal Hearing issues
There is a $25 registration fee to attend this seminar. To register for the seminar, contact Diane Neri, Iowa Workforce Development, at (712) 233-9030, Ext. 1037 or by e-mail at
. Please register by Friday, September 5, 2008.
Siouxland Employers’ Council is an employer group in Region 12, supported locally by Iowa Workforce Development, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employers group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers.