For Immediate Release: May 29, 2009
Contact: Bob Becker: (712) 262-1971 ext. 126
IWD & Kossuth County ECI Present “Unemployment Insurance—What Every Employer Needs to Know”
ALGONA, IOWA – Iowa Workforce Development and the Kossuth County Employers’ Council will present “Unemployment Insurance – What Every Employer Needs to Know” at the Family Table Restaurant, 1320 Hwy 169 N. Algona, Iowa on July 17, 2009. The program is from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
“Unemployment Insurance—What Every Employer Needs to Know”
Employers: are you losing your unemployment appeal hearings? Is your unemployment insurance tax rate going up due to multiple unemployment claims going against your favor? Here’s your opportunity to learn how to prepare your case to win!
The Kossuth County Employers’ Council (ECI) and Iowa Workforce Development will be hosting a session on Friday, July 17, 2009 on “Unemployment Insurance—What Every Employer Needs to Know”.
All business owners, human resource professionals, personnel staff, attorneys, paralegals and payroll/accounting staff are invited to attend. There is no fee to attend but pre-registration is requested for planning purposes by Friday July 10, to: Paula Seely, (515) 295-4602 or email@example.com This program has been approved for 2.0 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI).
Back by popular demand will be featured speaker Dan Anderson, Chief Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development. Program topics include:
- Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits
- Iowa Codes and Iowa Employment Security Laws
- Law changes on unemployment overpayments and the importance of participating in the first level telephone fact-finding interviews
- NEW INFORMATION about the Unemployment Insurance Modernization Act including the Alternative Base Period and other legislative changes effecting employers
- Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer, quits to avoid violence and domestic abuse, quits to accept other employment, quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms, refusals of work or recall; suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
- Health related separation issues, work related & non work related; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement.
- Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
- Procedural issues; timeliness of the appeal procedure, other misc topics dealing with appeal hearings
Dan Anderson has been an administrative law judge with Iowa Workforce Development since June of 1984, becoming chief ALJ in 1996. He was engaged in private law practice in his hometown, Atlantic, Iowa, prior to joining the agency. In 1968 he received his baccalaureate degree from Macalester College. After military service, he attended the University of Iowa College of Law, graduating in 1975. He has prepared training materials and participated in training seminars sponsored by the United States Department of Labor, The National Judicial College, the Iowa Association of Administrative Law Judges and the Iowa State Bar Association. He is a member of the National Association of Administrative Law Judiciary and the Iowa Association of Administrative Law Judges. He has issued over 22,000 decisions during his career as an administrative law judge.
Questions will be entertained by Administrative Law Judge Dan Anderson.
Pre-registration is requested by Friday, July 10, 2009 to Paula Seely, (515) 295-4602 or firstname.lastname@example.org You must pre-register. A certificate of attendance will be provided to attendees for recertification purposes.
The Kossuth County Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 3 and 4, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Bob Becker at Robert.Becker@iwd.iowa.gov if you have questions about this training session or about the Kossuth County Employers’ Council.