For Immediate Release
Carol Morgan: (712) 262-1971 ext. 126
ALGONA, IOWA – Employers: Are you losing your unemployment appeal hearings? Is your rate going up due to multiple unemployment claims going against your favor? Learn how to prepare your case and win! The Kossuth County Employers’ Council (ECI) and Max Yield Cooperative will be hosting an Unemployment Appeal Hearing training session on Wednesday, September 6, 2006 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 pm at the Park View Inn Conference Center in West Bend. All employers, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, financial officers and payroll staff are encouraged to attend.
This informative Unemployment Insurance Appeal Hearing session is presented by Chief Administrative Law Judge Dan Anderson. Judge Anderson has been an Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development since 1984, becoming Chief Administrative Law Judge in 1996. He has prepared training materials and participated in training seminars sponsored by the US Department of Labor, the National Judicial College, the Iowa Associate of Administrative Law Judges and the Iowa State Bar Association. He is a member of both the Iowa and National Association of Administrative Law Judges.
The topics to be discussed at the session include:
• Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits
• Iowa Codes and Iowa Employment Security Laws
• Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer; quits to avoid violence, quits to accept other employment; quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms; refusals of work or recall, suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
• Work stoppage incident to a Labor Dispute
• Health-related separation issues, work related & non-work related; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement
• How unemployment is effected by pensions, vacation pay, severance pay and holiday pay
• Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
• Procedural issues and matters of an unemployment appeal hearing
• Special challenges in handling unemployment insurance appeal hearing cases
• Timeliness of the appeal procedure
• Documentation of disciplinary actions
• Miscellaneous tough Unemployment Appeal Hearing issues
Pre-registration is requested by Friday September 1 to Paula Seely, (515) 295-4602 or email@example.com. There is a registration fee of $ 25.00 to attend which includes handouts, lunch and meeting expenses. If you register but do not attend, you will be billed. A certificate of attendance will be provided to attendees for recertification purposes. The Park View Inn Conference Center is located at 13 4th Street NE in West Bend, Iowa.
The Kossuth County Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 3, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan at (712) 262-1971 extension 126 if you have questions about this training session or about the Kossuth County Employers’ Council.