For Immediate Release
Contact: Eileen LeMay
Telephone: (563) 556-5800 ext 130
DUBUQUE, IOWA - The Iowa Chapter Area 8 Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) presented the Iowa Workforce Development Center in Region 1 the Five Star Statement of Support Award on April 21, 2005. This is a national award presented to employers that have distinguished themselves in their service to veterans. Iowa chapter Area 8 ESGR employer outreach representatives Ray Owensby and Kent Roeder presented the award. Mr. Owensby and Roeder cited the following requirements that must be met by employers to receive the award:
1) Signed a Statement of Support publicly demonstrating support for their employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve.
2) Adopted human resources policies to ensure compliance with the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-employment Rights Act Law (USERRA).
3) Promoted training for managers and supervisors to effectively manage their employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve.
4) Adopted policies and programs that are “Above and Beyond” what is required by the USERRA law.
5) Advocated for employee service in the National Guard and Reserve and helped to promote the ESGR mission to gain and maintain active support from all public and private employers for the men and women of the National Guard and Reserve as defined by demonstrated employer commitment to employee military service.