Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know

Unemployment Insurance: Identity Verification

For your protection, Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) uses data provided by LexisNexis® Risk Solutions  to help verify and validate your identity. Such data may include public records from federal, state and local government sources, and/or non-public data from government, utility, or education sources.  LexisNexis® may also use limited information from credit reporting bureaus, but no credit check is conducted and no inquiry of any kind is incurred. This process will take place when filing your claim. 

IWD must be able to verify your identity to be paid unemployment insurance benefits. When filing an unemployment insurance claim, you will be asked to verify your identity.  You will be provided the option to go through the online process to verify.  If you decline this online verification process, you will be required to send in documentation for proof of identity prior to receiving any payments.  The online verification process will take you through a series of questions which you will be required to answer. After completing those questions, if your identity was unable to be verified, you will be required to send in documentation for proof of identity.  If your identity was verified, you will be able to continue through the claims filing process. A deadline will be set of when you will need to respond. That deadline is usually five business days from the date you filed your claim.  

Your identity must be verified or your benefits may be delayed and your claim may be canceled.   

Note:  You must continue to file your weekly claim applications while your identity is verified.

Provide Proof of Identity

*If you have an Iowa Driver's License with Real ID(gold star) or with a Veteran's designation, then you are NOT required to submit any additional documents other than a copy of the license.

For proof of identity, you must provide a minimum of two items:

  • A copy of a government-issued identification document that includes your Social Security Number 
    • EX: Social Security Card
    • If Social Security Card is not available, see "Approved Documents with SSN" below for instructions.

AND a copy of one of the following identity documents:

Identity Documents

Driver's License, a state issued ID, or Military ID

  • Driver’s license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the U.S.
  • ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains information
  • U.S. Military card or draft record
  • Active Duty, Retiree or Reservist military ID card  (DD Form 2 or 2A)
  • Discharge papers (DD-214)
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal record
  • Learner Permit
  • Northern Mariana Card
  • American Department of Indian Affairs Tribal Card
  • Canadian Department of Indian Affairs issued ID card

Passport or Passport Card

  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Must contain Document Number, USCIS/INS Registration  Number
  • Foreign Passport​​​​
    • Must contain a Valid United States Visa or I-94 to be used as a primary proof of identification
    • Foreign passports, not issued in English, must be translated and accompanied by a Certificate of Accurate Translation

Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Card 

  • Permanent Resident Card I-551
    • Must contain Alien/USCIS Number, and Card Number
  • Employment Authorization Document Form I-766
    • Must contain Alien/USCIS Number, Card Number, and Document Expiration Date
  • Arrival Departure Record Form I-94
    • Must contain I-94 Number
  • Refugee Travel Document Form I-571
    • Must contain  Alien/USCIS Number
  • Reentry Permit Form I-327
    • Must contain  Alien/USCIS Number
  • Other
    • Must contain  Document Name, Alien/USCIS Number, and Document Expiration Date, when available

Birth Certificate

  • Original or certified copy issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form PS-545)
  • Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350). 
  • Adoptive Decree

Marriage License/Certificate

  • Original or certified copy
  • A copy of a document that is registered AFTER the marriage, not the license authorizing the union

Other Document Types

  • Vehicle Documents
    • Vehicle Registration or Title
    • Bill of Sale or purchase contract
  • IRS/state tax form
    • W2 Forms, Property tax receipts, etc.
  • School Records
    • Diploma or G.E.D
  • Financial Institution Documents
    • Account statement, loan document, etc.

Approved Documents with SSN  **If social security card is not available.  You can provide a document form this list.  Additionally, you must provide 2 of the documents from the list above under "Identity Documents".

  • W-2 Form
  • SSA- 1099 Form
  • Non-SSA 1099 Form
  • Pay Stub with your name and Social Security Number on it
  • Social Security Administration documents establishing that you are ineligible for a Social Security Number

Your documents must not be expired. 

Where to Send

You may submit the required documents online, by mail or in person.  A copy or a photo will be accepted.  

Submit Online

If you submit online, you can take a photo of the documentation and upload from your phone.

Submit Online Here

Iowa Workforce Development
Attn: Benefits Bureau
PO Box 10332
Des Moines, IA  50306-0332
In Person
Go to your local IowaWORKS Center,  a proud partner of the American Job Center network.