Southwest Iowa ECI “I-9 Revisions, Immigration
Related Compliance & Enforcement Sweeps”
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Immigration laws are being enforced more aggressively than ever before. Is your business in compliance with the law? The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) will host a training session on “I-9 Form Revisions, Immigration Related Compliance and Enforcement Sweeps” on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 from 9:00 am 11:30 a.m. at Iowa Workforce Development in Council Bluffs. Featured speaker will be Senior Special Agent with the Department of Homeland Security out of Omaha, NE. All employers, human resource personnel, recruiters, attorneys, paralegals, business owners & managers are invited to attend.
On June 16, 2008 the USCIC released a newly dated Form I-9; in November 2007 the Department of Homeland Security issued a revised Handbook for Employers: Instructions for Completing the Form I-9. The new I-9 is to be used for all new hires as well as all re-verifications. Due to the Paperwork Reduction Act, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) must have current expiration dates on all approved forms, including the I-9.
These updates and other topics to be discussed at the session include:
• Document Updates: What changed and what stayed the same
• New Form I-9 Instructions & New Document List
• New Handbook for Employers
• Who is required to fill out a Form I-9?
• Best methods for verifying work authorizations
• What to do if a worker provides questionable or fraudulent documentation
• Retention Guidelines, Timing Issues, Section 3 Re-verification and Rehires
• The most common immigration-related compliance mistakes employer make—and how to avoid them
• Compliance Strategies
• How to deal with a workplace raid; which records you must disclose to the inspectors to what you should do if workers are detained
• Miscellaneous tough immigration-related hiring issues
• This is a “hold-harmless” informational session; any and all questions are welcome
Pre-registration is requested by Friday, August 8, to Carol Morgan, (712) 242-2131 or
. There is a minimal registration fee to attend which includes handouts, refreshments and meeting expenses. This program has been approved for 2.0 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) and a certificate will be provided at the training session. Iowa Workforce Development is located in the Omni Business Center at 300 West Broadway, Suite 13, Council Bluffs, Iowa. Free parking is available in the Omni Business Center parking garage on Kanesville Blvd.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or
for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.