For Immediate Release: July 24, 2012
Contact: Carol Morgan
Telephone: (712) 242-2131
Southwest Iowa ECI: Unemployment Appeal Hearings: Present Your Case to Win
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Employers: are you concerned about losing your unemployment appeal hearings? Is your unemployment insurance tax rate increasing due to multiple unemployment claims going against your favor? The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) will be hosting “Unemployment Appeal Hearings: Present Your Case to Win”. Featured speaker will be Dan Anderson who has been an Administrative Law Judge with Iowa Workforce Development since 1984, a Chief Administrative Law Judge for over ten years.
This training session will be held on Wednesday August 15, 2012 from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at Iowa School for the Deaf, Lied Conference Center, 3501 Harry Langdon Blvd, Council Bluffs, IA 51503.
There is no fee to attend. All businesses, human resource personnel, attorneys, paralegals, financial officers, supervisors and payroll staff are invited to attend. Pre-registration is requested by Friday August 10 for planning purposes to Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program topics include:
• Definitions of misconduct, discharges and quits; Iowa Codes and Iowa Employment Security Laws
• Drug testing as it relates to unemployment benefits
• Separation issues such as discharges for attendance, insubordination, fighting on the job, off duty conduct, gross misconduct, carelessness & negligence; quitting for good cause attributable to the employer, quits to avoid violence and domestic abuse, quits to accept other employment, quitting without good cause; temporary employees of employment firms, refusals of work or recall; suitable offers of work; issues involving part time employees
• Health related separation issues, work related & non work related; choice of medical doctor; quit as a part of a work compensation settlement
• Documentation of disciplinary actions; timeliness of the appeal procedure
• Miscellaneous tough Unemployment Appeal Hearing issues
• This is a “hold-harmless” informational session; any and all questions are welcome.
Judge Anderson has been an Administrative Law Judge with IWD since 1984, becoming Chief Administrative Law Judge in 1996 and is currently an Administrative Law Judge. Judge Anderson will be retiring in August after residing over 25,000 Unemployment Appeal Hearings in the state of Iowa. After military service he attended the University of Iowa, College of Law, graduating in 1975. He has participated in training seminars sponsored by the US Dept of Labor, the National Judicial College, the Iowa Association of Administrative Law Judges and the Iowa State Bar Association. He is a member of both the Iowa and National Association of Administrative Law Judges.
This program has been approved for 2.50 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI. A certificate of attendance will be provided at the training session.
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.