Dept. of Homeland Security Official to Speak on
“I-9 Revisions, Immigration Reform Compliance”
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – The government has been enforcing immigration laws more aggressively than ever before. Employers, are you in compliance with the law? The Southwest IA Employers’ Council (ECI) and Iowa Workforce Development will be hosting a training session on “I-9 Form Revisions, Immigration-Related Compliance, and Enforcement Sweeps” on Wednesday, January 9, 2008 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:15 pm at Quality Inn & Suites in Council Bluffs. All employers, human resource personnel, recruiters, attorneys, paralegals, business owners & managers are invited to attend.
Pre-registration is requested by Friday, January 4th to Carol Morgan, (712) 242-2131 or
. There is a minimal registration fee to attend which includes handouts, lunch and meeting expenses. A certificate of attendance will be provided to attendees for recertification purposes. Quality Inn & Suites is located at 3537 West Broadway, Council Bluffs, Iowa.
On November 7th, the Department of Homeland Security issued a new Form I-9 and revised Handbook for Employers: Instructions for Completing the Form I-9. The new I-9 is to be used for all new hires as well as all re-verifications. This informative training session will be presented by a Senior Special Agent with the Department of Homeland Security out of Omaha, NE.
The topics to be discussed at the session include:
• Document Updates: What changed and what stayed the same
• New Form I-9 Instructions & New Document List
• New Handbook for Employers
• Who is required to fill out a Form I-9?
• Best methods for verifying work authorizations.
• What to do if a worker provides questionable or fraudulent documentation
• Retention Guidelines, Timing Issues, Section 3 Re-verification and Rehires
• The most common immigration-related compliance mistakes employer make—and how to avoid them
• Compliance Strategies
• How to deal with a workplace raid; which records you must disclose to the inspectors to what you should do if workers are detained.
• Miscellaneous tough immigration-related hiring issues
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan at
or (712) 242-2131 if you have questions about this training session or for information on a no-cost membership to the Southwest Iowa ECI group.