Sioux City, IOWA – Trish Dougherty RN SPHR, President & CEO of The Weston Group and Barb Tapscott, Employment Law Attorney, Iowa Workforce Development will present a seminar on the interaction between FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Compensation laws. Siouxland Employers’ Council and Iowa Workforce Development (IWD) will be hosting this seminar. The event will be held on Thursday, May 10, 2007, from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. The location is Western Iowa Tech Community College, 4647 Stone Avenue, Building B, Room 138 in Sioux City.
Dougherty has had over 25 years of leadership, operations and financial management background. She has served in numerous roles including VP of Human Resources, Employment Manager, Recruiter, Nurse Manager and as an Officer in the United States Army Nurse Corps.
Tapscott, formerly a private practice employment attorney in Iowa and Pennsylvania, is a frequent speaker and trainer before employer and business groups. Tapscott joined Iowa Workforce in 2006.
This presentation will address:
• How compliance with one law could mean a violation of another.
• Coordination of HR policies and practices to satisfy the requirements of FMLA, ADA and Workers’ Comp.
• Situations where an employee can qualify for all three at the same time.
• How a “disability” under the ADA compares to and contrasts with a “serious health condition” under FMLA.
• How job restoration rights differ for disabled employees vs. non-disabled employees returning from FMLA leave.
• How FMLA medical certification rules change when an individual is on Workers’ Compensation.
• Specific court cases, hypothetical cases and what the courts are focusing on.
Human Resource professionals, department manager and others wanting to ensure consistency and compliance with the interaction and overlapping elements in the regulations of these three laws should attend.
There is a $25 registration fee to attend this meeting. To register for the seminar, contact Diane Neri, Iowa Workforce Development, at (712) 233-9030, Ext. 1037 or by e-mail at
. Please register by Monday, May 5, 2007.
Siouxland Employers’ Council is an employer group in Region 12, supported locally by Iowa Workforce Development, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employers group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers.