For Immediate Release
Contact: Carol Morgan:
SPENCER, IOWA – The Lakes Area Employers’ Council (ECI) will be meeting on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm at the Clay County Regional Events Center, 800 West 18th Street, Spencer, to learn about “Workplace Behavior Problems: A Legal Guide for Employers.” Featured speakers will be attorneys Danielle Haindfield and Amanda Wachuta, practicing with Ahlers & Cooney Law Firm in Des Moines. All business owners, human resource personnel, managers and line supervisors are invited to attend.
Program topics include:
• Monitoring your workforce: handling problems before they begin
• Behavioral concerns: the impact of employee absences, how to set up an absenteeism policy, statutory compliance issues such as FMLA and other employee leave protections
• Workplace violence
• Violence at home: effects on the workplace
• How to handle the employee who lacks “soft skills”
• Addressing performance issues: training supervisors, discipline issues
• Recordkeeping and implementation; effective documentation
The $78 million jury verdict awarded retail workers for missed work breaks and off-the-clock time: are you paying what is owed?
• The DOL’s latest word on overtime exemptions: are you doing it right?
• Recent Iowa court decisions on immunity for references and defamation; what can you say about that fired employee?
• The aging labor force: how can you safely recruit them; can you favor them over younger employees; and what happens when they can’t lift anything anymore?
• Retaliation: The U.S. Supreme Court has spoken on what it is: are your supervisors listening?
Pre-registration is needed by Friday, December 8th to Carol Morgan at
. A certificate of attendance will be provided to attendees for recertification purposes. Please register by Thursday, December 9th.
Danielle Jess Haindfield received her B.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication Magna Cum Laude with Departmental Honors in 1996 from Drake University and her J.D. (with high honors) from Drake University Law School in 1999. While in law school she served as Articles Editor for the Drake Law Review and as President of the Moot Court Board. She is a member of the Order of the Coif and is an honorary member of the Order of the Barristers. She was admitted to the Iowa Bar in 1999 and has been a member of the Local Government Law and Employment Law Department of the Ahlers & Cooney, P.C. Law Firm in Des Moines, Iowa since 1999. She is a member of the National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys, the Iowa Council of School Attorneys, and the Polk County, Iowa State and American Bar Associations (Labor & Employment Section). She has spoken at various seminars on school law and employment law issues - including the Iowa Bar Association Governmental and Administrative Law Seminar, the Iowa Association of School Boards School Law Seminar, the Iowa Association of School Business Officials Fall Academy, Iowa Workforce Development seminars and various Ahlers & Cooney client seminars. She is the author of the Note, “Wall of Separation or Path to Interaction, the Uncertain Constitutional Future of School Vouchers in Light of Inconsistent Developments in Judicial Neutrality Between Church and State, “48 Drake L. Rev. 310 (2000) and a contributing author of “America’s Children at Risk,” American Bar Association (2000).
The Lakes Area Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 3, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. This employer’s group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan if you have questions about this session or about the Lakes Area Employers’ Council (ECI).