Youth Summer Employment


For Immediate Release
Colleen Monroe (515) 576-3131, ext. 219

Printer icon Printer Friendly PDF Version

Youth Summer Employment

FORT DODGE - Iowa law requires working youth to obtain a child labor form (work permit). This work permit applies to minors ages 14 and 15 years old for most jobs in Iowa. The youth must have obtained employment prior to filing for the work permit. People under 16 years of age cannot be employed or permitted to work, with or without compensation, unless the business employing the youth receives and keeps a work permit on file. The employer also is required to keep a list of the names and ages of anyone under 16 years of age in his employ.

A youth, after obtaining employment, must go in person to the local Iowa Workforce Development Center, or to the local school official designated as an issuing officer, and provide verification of their age by either a certified copy of a birth certificate, current passport, certified copy of baptismal record showing the date and place of birth and the place of the child’s baptism. If none of the above is available, then a written certification from a physician appointment by the local board of education certifying that, in the physician opinion, the applicant is 14 years of age or older is required. The employer then must complete their portion of the work permit, specifically listing all work the youth will be performing, equipment to be used, and hours to be worked. The parent then signs the form. The form is then returned to the issuing officer for review and approval. The youth is not permitted to work until this process is completed.

Employers may require a Certificate of Age for youth ages 16 and older. Having a valid Certificate of Age on file protects both the employer and employee. More information is available on the Iowa Workforce Development’s web site at