For Immediate Release: February 20, 2009
Contact: Carol Morgan: (515) 281-5407
Southwest Iowa ECI: "Apprenticeships for Employers: An Integration Program to Educate, Promote, Train, Target, Partner & Maximize Your Workforce Potential"
COUNCIL BLUFFS, IOWA – Employers, is your workforce prepared to compete in the 21st Century? …Maximize your workforce potential! Are you an employer who has need of a skilled workforce? Would you like to train your workers in the latest technologies and not lose valuable time? Are you looking to reduce turnover and improve employer/employee relationships? If you have answered “yes” to any of these questions, then registered apprenticeship training is the avenue for you to explore.
The Southwest Iowa Employers’ Council (ECI) will host an event for businesses about apprenticeship programs on Wednesday March 11, 2009 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm at Iowa Western Community College, 2700 College Rd, Looft Hall, Council Bluffs. Featured speaker will be Greer Sisson, State Director with the Office Of Apprenticeship, US DOL. All business owners, human resource professionals, personnel staff, attorneys, paralegals and payroll/accounting staff are invited to attend. There is no fee to attend but pre-registration is requested by Friday March 6 to Carol Morgan at (712) 242-2131 or
. This program has been approved for 1.5 (General) recertification credit hours towards PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI).
Apprenticeship training is a method that combines actual work experience with classroom related instruction and produces a worker skilled in the occupation, who is capable of exercising independent judgment and who subscribes to the highest standards of professional conduct. Registered Apprenticeship is a demand-driven training model that offers employers an important way to elevate the competencies of their workers and establish the standards of proficiency they need to compete.
Registered Apprenticeships has several major components:
• On-the-job Learning/Work Experience
• Classroom related Instruction
• Incremental Wage Increases
Benefits to Employers
• Greater competence of employees—apprenticeship equals trained employees
• Reduced turnover rates—apprenticeship means fewer turnovers
• Greater employee retention—apprenticeship creates skilled & experienced employees for the long term
• Lower investment in recruitment—apprenticeship saves employers money
• Higher productivity and improved quality of products/services— apprenticeship ensures a high level of quality production
• Apprenticeship helps employers provide career opportunities with a more diverse
• Apprenticeship helps employers plan for the future—and meet future workforce needs
Benefits to Apprentices/Employees
• Nationally recognized and portable certificates
• Improved skills and competencies
• Increased wages as a result of mastered competencies
• Ability to advance in career
• Higher self-esteem based on enhanced skills and certifications
The Southwest IA Employers’ Council is a local employer group supported by Iowa Workforce Development Region 13 including Harrison, Shelby, Pottawattamie, Mills, Cass, Freemont and Page counties, and is part of the statewide Employers’ Council of Iowa system. All businesses, including Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri employers are welcome to attend ECI events. This employers’ group addresses workforce issues, and provides both educational and networking opportunities for employers and human resource professionals. Contact Carol Morgan for more information about the Southwest Iowa ECI group.